Re: IETF71 hotel noise warning on Marriott web pages

2007-12-19 17:33:53

        But the IETF network has for as long as I've attended (12
        years) been a proving ground for new technology.

                DHCP, multicast, wireless, IPv6, etc.

        I'm quite happy to see more testing of future technology /
        configurations on the network.

        I'd like to see DNSSEC validation deployed on the recursive
        DNS servers advertised by DHCP to the network.  I'd like
        to see IETF.ORG signed.  I'd like to see SIG(0) deployed
        on the recursive DNS servers.

        The IETF net should be a actively hostile network from a
        security perspective once we have the technology to detect
        and mitigate the attacks.  If you ask a plain DNS question
        you should expect to get a compromised answer.

        Most of us don't harden our systems nearly enough.  We
        should be able to do work with hardened system otherwise
        we have failed as engineers.

        Mark

Expectations of support infrastructure change as technology evolves.

In those days, we got along just fine without cell phones as well.

Based on new technology our co-workers expect a level of internation not
previously possible. We are also used to immediate access to reference
material and as one person noted, they may take advantage of local laptop
access to the presentation material to be able to read it.

How things were done in the past really has little bearing on how we do
then now.