Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-22 12:54:53

--On Saturday, 22 December, 2007 13:07 -0500 IETF Chair
<chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

Dear Colleagues:

I had no idea that my previous announcement would generate
such a long stream of responses.  The lively discussion has
been surprising, interesting, and also informative.  I need to
share some history, some plans, and some reactions to this
lengthy discussion.

The IETF meeting network supported IPv6 for at least the last
five years. Both IPv4 and IPv6 routing have been available on
Following the mail list discussion, we have considered several
different configurations for achieving the desired network
experiment environment. It is important that everyone have
adequate opportunity for advance configuration, and it is
important that severe impact on other network resources at the
meeting venue be avoided.  With these goals in mind, we intend
to add an additional IPv6-only subnet, with a different SSID on

Russ,

From my perspective at least, an excellent approach that
balances the issues well.

thanks,