Re: Change the subject! RE: [IAOC] Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF71 Plenary

2007-12-28 14:41:54
Hi,

Several people have written on this thread that they might not participate in this experiment because they either won't have an IPv6 stack or that they're unwilling to experiment with the network settings on their PCs. I'll suggest that those people can double their experimental fun in a very low risk way by booting a live linux distribution during the experiment.

For those people who may be unfamiliar with this, look at this Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveDistro

I burned a few CDs today and got the following results:
- Ubuntu boots with IPv4 and IPv6 active.  It also has several
  applications which may be good for testing: web browser, ssh, pidgin
  (with XMPP for jabber), and Ekiga softphone.
- Mandriva booted without activating the network ports.  A few clicks
  activated them and it appeared to enable IPv6.  Similar applications
  as above with kopete but I didn't immediately spot a softphone.
- Fedora booted with IPv4 enabled.  I couldn't activate IPv6 by just
  clicking on things.  ymmv

Best regards,
Chris