RE: LC reviews: draft-brenner-dime-peem

2008-01-07 08:40:56
Hi Joel,

Thanks for forwarding the below - it helps me in understanding the
process. I am not sure whether I am supposed to respond or not on the
comments you provided, but it cannot hurt - so I will do my best. If I
need to provide those comments to a larger forum, or in a different
forum - please advise.

On the 1st comments, regarding IETF consensus, this may be something
that others (e.g. Dan Romascanu maybe) can help with - I am not sure I
am familiar enough with the IETF processes to suggest any changes.

As per the 2nd comment - indeed there are no additional security
concerns with respect to the use of the Diameter protocol for the PEEM
specification.  What may help understanding why this is the case, is the
overall approach in OMA specifications. OMA develops granular
specifications, not end-to-end service specifications or solution
specifications. However, there are separate security specifications that
any vendor can bundle with any other enabler specifications, in order to
ensure any security concerns are addressed when a product is built. One
such mechanism is the use of security policies applied in a proxy
pattern (i.e. BEFORE any request reaches its target). Such security
poclieis (e.g. for authentication or authorization) may be applied on
the call carrying the PEM-1 request. A second mechanism is to use
specifications produced by another OMA group (OMA SECurity Working
Group) which produced a set of sepcifications called SECurity Common
Functions, that are used at different protocol layers to ensure
authentication, confidentiality, integrity of the exchange. OMA does
this on purpose to avoid the development of silo-specifications (i.e.
specifications where each functionality also addresses in a
silo-approach all security aspects).

The reason why we have honored the Diameter base protocol security
requirements is simply because we want to take advantage of
client-server implementations that vendors have produced so far, to
simlify adoption of the PEEM application. Any other security needs would
therefore be addressed in addition to, and outside the scope of the
Diameter application. They have therefore nothing to do with the
submitted IETF draft, and are not to be part of it.

I'll be glad to provide any additional clarifications, or point to
additional security specifications - although none of the latter will
give any indication of how one would integrate additional security with
PEEM specifications - that is on purpose left to vendors and service
providers, to allow for differentiation (again - OMA is NOT in the
business to provide specifications of end-to-end services or solutions).

Best regards,

Michael