IPv6 and email routing, was Re: AAAA records to be added for root servers

2008-01-07 12:25:34
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, John C Klensin wrote:

However, there is also a rule that, if no MX records are present at a
particular node, the mail system looks for an A RR at the same node and
treats it as if its label appeared with an MX preference of 0.  That
default does not apply to AAAA records, so it is necessary that
operators understand that, if mail systems are to be accessed using
IPv6, they MUST have MX records at the relevant nodes.

The only document that I know of which specifies IPv6 email routing is RFC
3974, which says that AAAA should be treated exactly the same as A. As far
as I know, Exim, Postfix, and Sendmail follow RFC 3974.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA SHANNON ROCKALL MALIN: MAINLY SOUTHWESTERLY, BECOMING CYCLONIC FOR A