Internet Draft Submission cutoff dates

2008-01-18 12:07:29
Hi.

The current cutoff schedule for Internet Drafts dates from my
time on the IESG (i.e., is ancient history).  It was conditioned
on the pre-IETF rush and the observation that the Secretariat,
at the time, required a sufficiently long time to get drafts
posted in the pre-meeting rush that, unless there was a two-week
cutoff, we couldn't reliably have all expected documents in hand
prior to the start of the meetings.

Splitting the "new" and "revised" drafts was a further attempt
to compensate when the load built up enough that the choices
were between such a split and moving the submission deadline for
_all_ I-Ds back even further.  The conclusion was that a split
was desirable because a three-week cutoff for revisions would
seriously interfere with WGs getting work done in the run-up to
IETF meetings.

With the automated posting tools typically getting I-Ds posted
in well under an hour and a tiny fraction of the documents being
handled manually, the original reasons for the submission
cutoffs no longer apply.  It is still reasonable, IMO, to have a
cutoff early enough to permit people to receive and read
documents before departing for the meetings, but it seems to me
that criterion would require a cutoff a week (or even less)
prior to the meeting, not two or three weeks.  Other models
about giving people time to read might suggest leaving the "new
document" cutoff at three weeks before the meeting, but seeing
if we could move the "revision" cutoff considerably closer to
the meetings.

I don't necessarily object to retaining the current two and
three week posting deadlines, but I'd like to know that the IESG
has done a careful review of those deadlines and their
applicability to the current environment and concluded that they
are still appropriate, rather than having the secretariat retain
them simply on tradition and autopilot.

thanks,
   john