Re: I-D Action: draft-rosenberg-internet-wait-hourglass-00.txt

2008-02-16 00:22:18
This vicious cycle can be broken, but usually its because the new feature is
sufficiently innovative and valuable that it can help drive the cycle much
faster than normal. Much as I love transport protocols, I don't think they fit
into that category in terms of end user functionality.

Right.  In general, application developers have been slow to rewrite their
applications to support new networking capabilities, including IPv6, QoS,
SCTP/DCCP, etc.  Given this, I doubt that redefining SCTP/DCCP to run over
UDP would make much difference to developers who first need to be
convinced of the value of alternative transports.

Similar arguments can be made against rapid takeup of application-specific
tunneling protocols.  Now if you make available a generic tunneling mechanism
that "just works" and requires no application changes, then the
answer might be different.