Re: I-D Action: draft-rosenberg-internet-wait-hourglass-00.txt

2008-02-16 01:17:04
Hi,

On 2008-2-16, at 0:58, ext Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
So lets say I am building an application and I want to extend that
application to users that may be NATted. Now, I have a choice. I can
build that application to run on SCTP, which may be advtantageous.
In that case, I'll be able to reach a user based equal to those
whose NAT have been upgraded to support this SCTP ALG feature. Or, I
can tunnel it over UDP or TCP, and reach 100% of my customers.

Now, I'm not a marketing guy, but I'm pretty sure if I have to pick
between reaching 100% of my customers or 1%, I'd pick the 100%.

I wasn't disagreeing with your main point, which is about end user
applications that need to work right now potentially for everybody on
the network.

I was saying that there are large private and semi-private networks
where the entity running them has control and new protocols can and
are deployed over IP. The Gig effort, for example, or various operator
networks. There is a benefit to not needing to tunnel.

Lars