Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-imapext-sort (INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - SORT AND THREAD EXTENSIONS) to Proposed Standard

2008-02-27 15:29:04
On 2/27/08 at 11:58 AM -0800, Dan Karp wrote:

If there's a problem with the draft -- for instance, that the FROM
sort is useless from a client standpoint or that the CC sort will
never be used by a real-world client -- then it should be fixed
before reaching RFC status.

OK, let me do a bit of a process interrupt here:

We're talking about going to Proposed Standard here, and IMO way too
late. The current SORT *has* been implemented and looks like it may
be considered useful by some clients. If, after publication, we find
that it doesn't interoperate reasonably (which may include
"independent clients don't implement this thing" or "clients can't
get it right"), we can always go back and make changes. But the fact
that some clients do a similar operation differently is *not* a
reason to delay publication.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102