Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-imapext-sort (INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - SORT AND THREAD EXTENSIONS) to Proposed Standard

2008-03-04 09:52:27
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
(In some
clients, the sorted list is scrolled to whichever  message was previously
selected, so it's a fast way of finding other  messages by the same
person).
Yea, I do this frequently in Thunderbird.

As do I.

Note that an address sort that collates all "mrc" messages together is
more likely to do the right thing that one that collates by name and has
to figure out that "Mark Crispin", "Mark R. Crispin", "Crispin, Mark", "M
Crispin", "Mr. Mark Crispin", "IMAP Support", etc. are all the same.

I frequently sort by subject, because many clients still don't support proper
threading (threads can become broken due to lack of the References header).

I also sort by Subject (although more commonly ORDERSUBJECT threading than
direct SUBJECT sorting) in cases where the thread tree has become so
complex that it has lost value.  A classic example is when a new thread is
started by replying to a message in a thread that has little or no
relationship to the thread.  Think USENET.

I also sort by IMAP flags (i.e. I want to see all important messages), size
and rarely by date.

Usually for flags I would do a filter rather than a SORT, but it seems
reasonable to me to add such a thing in the first round of extensions.

Date sorting seems to be pretty common with our users.  Some people who
prefer their mail "in order" use it instead of sequence order in the
mailbox (no sort) which tends to be an INTERNALDATE sort.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc