Gen-art review of draft-ietf-smime-multisig-04.txt

2008-03-07 11:12:13
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
_http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html_).

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-smime-multisig-04.txt
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 7 March 2008
IETF LC End Date: 7 March 2008
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

a few editorial nits.
Caveat: I am not a security expert and this should not be taken as an
endorsement of the security competence of the proposal.

Comments:
s3:  The first part of the specification for MultipleSignatures is :

   The fields in MultipleSignatures have the following meaning:

     - bodyHashAlg includes the digest algorithmIdentifier for the
     referenced multiple-signatures attribute.

     - signAlg includes the signature algorithmIdentifier for the
     referenced multiple-signatures attribute.

I am confused by the use of 'includes' here: Do these specs imply that
the values of these fields are comma separated lists of all relevant alg
identifiers for the signatures?  An example with three signatures might
clarify what is going on, but the spec should be clarified in any case,
I think (but I may just not be sufficiently knowledgable about this sort
of spec).

Editorial:
idnits reports a clean bill of health.

Abstract: Expand CMS acronym.

s5: s/in a singled/in a single/

s5.2: s/the rquire application/the required application/

s5.3, para 5: The first sentence

If signatures are added for the support of [ESS] features, then the
   fact that an outer layer signature can be treated as a non-
   significant failure.

does not parse.  Probably missing 'is invalid' or some such relating to
outer layer signature.

Appendix B: 'hashes CMS'??? Does not parse!

B.1: s/is needed/are needed/

B.2 1/a/ii: s/Reistance/Resistance/

B.2 1/c/iii: s/success/successful/

B.2 2: Expand DER acronym.

B.2: is not normative but uses SHOULD NOT.

B.2 (2nd para on p18): s/that the attack/than the attack/