Re: TLS vs. IPsec (Was: Re: experiments in the ietf week)

2008-03-25 06:33:51
On 24 mrt 2008, at 18:58, Jari Arkko wrote:

Now, if we had a proposal that turned IPsec into as easily deployable
between random clients and known servers as TLS, I would be interested
in a new experiment! But I did not see a proposal for that yet. Maybe
time for that draft that Phillip suggested in another thread,
Iljitsch?

I'm afraid that won't work because of scheduling conflicts if I wanted
to present such a draft to the appropriate SEC area wg...

A quick s/TLS/IPsec/g isn't realistic, but I would certainly be
interested in seeing one or more IETF services use some kind of IPsec
protection in order to see if this is workable in practice. There are
APIs that allow applications to set this up on a per-application
basis, unless I'm mistaken.

And yes, the issues I referred to are DoS and TCP spoofing. These can
only be protected against at the  network level. Encryption can, and
therefore, probably should, be handled at the transport level. (That
is not to say that authentication at the network level is entirely
useless, just that it can protect against more stuff at the network
level.)