Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-27 23:01:23

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Keith Moore wrote:

If there were some serious technical consequence for lack of the MX record
I would be
all for specifying its use. Operational practice with A records shows that
there is no real issue,

only if you ignore the problems that have been observed and the
increased likelihood of such problems occurring in IPv6.

Perhaps you could help us out and share a reference to documentation of
such problems. I for one have not personally observed any problems related
to using the A record to locate a mail server when there is no MX. As a
result I have no clue why IPv6 will increase such problems. My sense is
that quite a few posters to this thread also lack your perspective.

Dave Morris