Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-29 09:02:34
At 07:34 29-03-2008, Theodore Tso wrote:
So I must be missing something, probably because I deleted without
reading closely enough one of the earlier messages on this thread.
But please indulge me --- exactly what is the benefit of deprecating
the "A" fallback, and/or not doing a lookup on the AAAA record if the
MX record doesn't exist?  Is it the load on the nameservers that
people would believe would be reduced if we didn't do this?  Is that
really a problem?  Or is it something else?

The RFC2822bis draft does _not_ depreciate the "A" fallback.

This long thread has been mostly about the fallback to the AAAA
record if the MX record doesn't exist.   The debate has been about
whether IPv6 SMTP clients should use the existence of the MX record
as a test to determine whether the host wishes to receive mail.

Regards,
-sm