Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments

2008-03-28 16:40:48

On 2008-03-28 18:49 Ray Pelletier said the following:

The Trustees adopted the Non-Profit Open Software License 3.0 in
September 2007 as the license it would use for open sourcing software
done as work-for-hire and that contributed to it, at that time thinking
of code contributed by IETF volunteers.  See:
http://trustee.ietf.org/licenses.html

Is it clear that the contributions contemplated by these documents would
require a different treatment?

My view on this:  Yes, definitely.  The two cases are very different,
and the kind of license which is needed and wanted is also very different.

In the case of work-for-hire for the IASA, we're talking about IETF-specific
code used to run the services needed by the IETF, such as for instance the
datatracker; and the purpose of using the OSL 3.0 license is that it is more
acceptable to commercial entities providing the services than GPL, while still
being clear on requiring derivative code used to provide services to be
contributed back as open source.

In the case of code embedded in standards documents, we want it to be as widely
used as possible, which as far as I'm concerned means limiting the requirements
on the users of the code as much as legally possible.  I'd love to have that
code put in the public domain, but as IANAL I have no idea whether that's
possible.

        Henrik