Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-bfd-base-08

2008-05-08 09:32:40
Eric -

On May 7, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Eric Gray wrote:

David,

      I agree with Spencer on the point of "system thoughts"
verses "system states."  This may appear to be a style issue,
but it is actually simply a matter of trying to be as precise
as the language allows.  Who knows what a system "thinks"?
But it should be clear if a system is in an appropriate state.

DW: Sorry, which comment is this in reference to?

      On the next issue, I don't understand your argument: are
you saying that you believe it is necessary to explicitly say
that "defending against operator error is out of scope"?

DW: Given we are talking about laws of physics and we have seen
implementation and deployment issues, it seemed worthy of not
removing the statement in this instance.

      Finally, Spencer's (last?) comment on use of "stronger"
is (again) not a stylistic one, but an attempt to squeeze the
little bit of precision that can be achieved in English.  It
is apparent that you believe you are saying "Using SHA1 is
believed to have stronger security properties than MD5" (as
indeed is suggested by Spencer), but you are not (exactly).
Change the statement to "drinking milk, as opposed to chewing
rocks, leads to stonger bones" and you will see that what you
have said makes no explicit comparison between SHA1 and MD5
(or milk and rocks, in my example).  Because the statement is
already in passive voice (whose belief is this?), and is vague
enough as it is, then we should try to fix as much of it as we
can.

DW: Finessing this sentence isn't an issue. Rocks for breakfast?

-DWard

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer