Re: draft-mayrhofer-geopriv-geo-uri-00

2008-05-21 21:17:31
While I cannot comment specifically about RFC style, I can say (from my
study of the use of language globally) that there are several conventions in
use for numerical notation using the numerals 0-9, depending on usage.
- The point/period/full stop may be used to separate whole numbers from
values smaller than 1; alternatively, the comma may be.
- Then comes the possible issue of separation on either side of the decimal,
whether every second, every third, or every fourth place.
- If the decimal point is used, to use your terminology, then one may find a
space or a comma as a separator on either or both sides of the decimal.
- If the decimal comma is used, then one may find a space or point as a
separator on either or both sides of the decimal.
By the way, the word is jarring, not jaring, according to laws governing
regular English spelling conventions worldwide.  Jaring implies a verb jare,
the way I understand the use of English, regardless of location.
/Kim.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill McQuillan" <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Christian Spanring" <spanring(_at_)oir(_dot_)at>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:32 AM
Subject: draft-mayrhofer-geopriv-geo-uri-00

While reading through this ID: A Uniform Resource Identifier for
Geographic
Locations ('geo' URI), I found several minor issues.

Section 2. Introduction
  [use of WGS84 reference system]

I wonder if it might be more forward thinking to allow for the optional
specification of the reference system being used. Perhaps this could be
one
of the "URI parameters" mentioned in section 4.7

Section 4.4.1 Component Description
  The number of decimal places indicates the precision of the value.
  One degree equals 111.319,45m at the equator (40.075,004km / 360
  degree).  Five decimal places (0.00001 degree) seem to imply a for
  civil use sufficient accuracy.

To my American eye the decimal notation (partially) used here was jaring.
Searching (briefly) for some sort of presentation standard in an RFC or
other technical document was unsuccessful. Is the use of "." and ","
standardized in the representation of real numbers in RFCs?

Section 6. GML Mappings

There seems to be no explanation of what GML is, not even a Reference
document.

Section 9.1.  Invalid Locations

Is there a recommended way to represent the poles? Dare I suggest <geo:90>
and <geo:-90>? If that is too much of a special case, should the longitude
always be zero or can it be anything between -180.00000 and 180.00000?

Section 9.2.  Location Privcay

Typo: .................Privacy

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>