RE: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

2008-05-21 23:02:33
Hi -

What would it take to get them cataloged individually?

Randy

I believe that getting each RFC cataloged individually would not
be possible using an ISSN, so we would need to employ ISBNs.

My understanding of ISBNs is as follows:

In the US, the ISBN Agency is Bowker
http://www.bowker.com/index.php/index.php/component/content/article/1/2.

Their faq
http://www.bowker.com/index.php/supportfaq-isbn/49-support-isbn/350-faqs
-isbn-general
defines the products eligible for an ISBN and standards do
fit in the definition.  This faq also discusses the purpose
and why/when an ISBN should be used.

To apply ISBNs to RFC, the process would need to be something like:

- obtain a block of ISBN numbers (e.g. 1,000 of them)
- note that a block of 1,000 is $1570 per
  https://commerce.bowker.com/standards/cgi-bin/isbn.asp
- then assign an ISBN number to each RFC before it publication,
  and register each not-yet-published RFC against the ISBN per

http://www.bowker.com/index.php/supportfaq-isbn/49-support-isbn/381-faqs
-isbn-howtouse

Setting this up take work and a modest on-going budget. Once in place,
the ongoing effort would be less.  That being said, ISBN numbers are not
free, so I think we'd need to identify some tangible benefits to really
doing this, before deciding to proceed.

Regards,

Ed Juskevicius