Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

2008-05-22 08:35:31
bbbbbb

--On Thursday, 22 May, 2008 07:18 -0400 Melinda Shore
<mshore(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 5/22/08 2:01 AM, "Ed Juskevicius" <edj(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com> wrote:
I believe that getting each RFC cataloged individually would
not be possible using an ISSN, so we would need to employ
ISBNs.

No, not necessarily.  A serial published as a serial
("The Bulletin of the Singapore Guppy Society") is cataloged
as such, while a monograph series that has an ISSN may have the
monographs cataloged individually (this is under the Anglo-
American Cataloging Rules rev 2, and there may be some national
variations).

Getting an ISSN in no way prevents individual RFCs from being
cataloged individually.

Of course not.  It doesn't even prevent individual RFCs, or
clusters of RFCs, being assigned ISBNs or, if one feels like
setting them to music or performing them in public and releasing
audio or video of those forms ISMNs or ISANs (the assorted
acronyms are left as an exercise for the reader).

Indeed, another way of looking at this question is that deciding
to register an ISSN for the RFC series really does not preclude
anything else (including, were we so inclined, putting DOIs on
each RFC) and we should therefore be asking "ISSN or not ISSN"
with all questions about other sorts of identifiers and
cataloging being viewed as separate.   Stated that way, I think
the answer to the ISSN question is pretty close to "some
advantages, very low cost, no possible reason why not"

      john