Re: [IAOC] ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

2008-05-23 08:15:31

On May 23, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I would rather pay $1 to provide bigger, better cookies or tap-
dancing penguins during the plenaries.rsha

I don't think $1 USD would pay for one of those bigger, better,
cookies, so I guess tap-dancing penguins it is.

Regards
Marshall

I see no value in doing this and in fact plenty of reasons to oppose
it.

Where is the $1500 of value to the IETF here? I can see the value to
DOI. If the IETF were to go this route it should be expecting DOI to
be paying a cut of the additional business generated, not to hand
money over.

From: wgchairs-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Marshall Eubanks
Sent: Thu 22/05/2008 9:10 AM
To: Henning Schulzrinne
Cc: Working Group Chairs; IAB; IETF Discussion; IAOC; Bill Manning;
John C Klensin; RFC Editor
Subject: Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

On May 22, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

On a side note: If we want something URN-like that actually has
traction outside the IETF, DOIs seem like the right approach. See
http://www.doi.org/
 Articles in our closest technical disciplines, namely those
published by ACM and IEEE, already have DOIs, both for journal and
conference articles.

Note that

    DOI is a registered URI within the info-URI namespace (IETF RFC
4452, the "info" URI Scheme for Information
    Assets with Identifiers in Public Namespaces). Further information
is available at http://info-uri.info.

These are not free; if we got DOI's for all RFCs through, e.g.,
Bowker, it would cost

    Up to 9999 DOIs - $1500 per year

I think it would be a good idea. A $ 1 increase in registration fees
would more than pay for it.

Regards
Marshall

This is obviously completely orthogonal to the ISSN issue.

Henning