Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

2008-05-21 15:51:48
The practical benefit I see here is getting the Library of
Congress (and who knows?  maybe the British Library, etc.)
to catalog the series as a series, but again I'm unclear on
the practical benefit, since RFCs are incredibly easy to find
*as* RFCs; that is to say, by the information by which the
series will be cataloged and classified.

I used to publish an actual paper magazine with paid subscriptions.
(The Journal of C Language Translation, ISSN 1042-7521)

The ISSN made it much easier for my subscribers, who were mostly
libraries who used subscription agents like Ebsco, to order the
magazine, because the ISSN let them find the price and where to send
the order.  In this regard, it is similar to the ISBN that everyone
uses to order books.  But, of course, this is all irrelevant for RFCs
which are distributed online for free.

I don't see any disadvantage to getting an ISSN other than the tiny
effort to update the publishing tools to put it in a header line, but
I also don't see any benefit.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.