Re: RFC Errata proposals -- a missing piece

2008-06-02 08:55:28
Hi John,
At 03:51 02-06-2008, John C Klensin wrote:
I suggest that it would be useful to add an additional explicit
state category to the the RFC Editor's list, one that would
presumably be handed out of band (although I'd have no objection
to having it automated).   The description would read something
like the following:

        5. Standards change: When a document has been approved
        (via Protocol Action Notice or equivalent) that updates
        or obsoletes an existing Standards Track or BCP
        document, an erratum entry may be added that points to
        the action notice and the approved Internet-Draft.  This
        is intended to be a short-lived entry, providing
        information to the community for important cases during
        the period between IESG approval and publication of the
        new RFC.  These notices are intended to exceptional
        circumstances and will be added at the discretion of the
        RFC Editor (e.g., in circumstances when it appears that
        RFC publication of the new document will be delayed) or
        at the request of the IESG or a relevant Area Director.

I suggest a minor change to the last sentence to emphasize the
exceptional circumstances.  Instead of "These notices ...":

   This state is intended for exceptional circumstances.  The erratum
entry will be
   added at the discretion of the RFC Editor (e.g., in circumstances
when it appears
   that  RFC publication of the new document will be delayed) or at
the request of the
   IESG or a relevant Area Director.

Regards,
-sm