I mentioned once that certain actions of the IETF may be criminally prosecutable in nature...

2008-06-02 10:30:48
I brought this up a number of times and Harald's solution was to ban me from
the list. Something that under the US CFAA is prosecutable... His claim was
that I failed to show him the money - that special case which establishes
that as a standard.

OK Harald - the case you want to see is called "The United States v Drew"
and was filed in the District Court of the Central District of California
(i.e. LA). What it says is that any communications taking place between two
parties across a State Line may constitute. I am sending you a copy of that
indictment and the CFAA text under separate cover since its 1/2MB. How it
plays out is that:

    1)    An act of Conspiracy under the terms of the Conspiracy Statute in
the US is what happens when multiple people agree on something across an
electronic transport whether in real-time or time-shifted in nature. The
question is whether that is a conspiracy to hurt people or their rights in
which case its an issue, or a conspiracy to get together for a dinner party
which then would be totally cool one would think.

    2)    A violation of both civil and criminal statutes of the US Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act (per the definition in section (a)(2)(B) of a 'Federal
Interest Computer'.

Unfortunately this makes all of the covert negotiations for PR and other
actions a crime in the US by my reading. Also one which the IETF and its
Management including its chair and all AD's and WG Chairs are liable under.
I think it also makes key parts of the IETF document/IP submission process
possibly criminally prosecutable as well. Jorge - Any thoughts as the IETF's
Attorney?

As to what to do about this - I suggest that its time for a set of lawyers
who are not retained and paid by the IETF to formally review the IETF's
processes for conflicts and flaws therein.

regards,
Todd Glassey CISM CIFI