Re: RFC 3484 Section 6 Rule 9

2008-06-03 06:30:16
Ralph Droms <rdroms(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

Without some way to choose which rule to use and when to use it, how
can a recommendation that has conditional rule usage be implemented?

We could detail the method to establish which rule to use, but that
requires that we can get consensus on those details.

Many people seems to prefer random selection.  Could those who prefer
longest match perhaps explain when that rule is appropriate to use and
preferable to random selection?  If so, we can use their explanation to
decide when to use that mode.  If that explanation doesn't apply to a
particular implementation, or the application does not know whether it
applies, using random selection could be the default.

/Simon