Re: RFC 3484 Section 6 Rule 9

2008-06-03 21:23:02
Joe,

It seems to me that direct assignment could quite possibly become the
default for small IPv6 sites in the ARIN region. IPv6 uptake to date has
been so tiny that I don't think anybody can predict what behaviours will
become prevalent if/when IPv6 takes off.

We can't predict how economic actors will choose to act. What we can predict
is catastrophe if ten or 100 million sites attempt to push /48 advertisements
out into BGP4. It would be highly irresponsible of any registry to pursue
a policy that leads to such a result, until we have a technical solution
to the resulting scaling problem. It's exactly because we don't have such
a solution that the IPv6 design model is PA.

I'm not shocked at the notion of a few hundred thousand early adopters of
IPv6 getting PI prefixes. But that's a very different matter than millions.

(This remains directly relevant to the subject of this thread. The
infamous Rule 9 exists, right or wrong, because of PA addressing
in IPv6.)

    Brian