RE: RNET: Random Network Endpoint Technology

2008-06-21 11:08:26

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:22:11 -0400
To: typosity(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
From: kent(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: RNET: Randon Network Endpoint Technology
CC: kent(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com

Chad,

I doubt that you will receive much useful feedback from IETF members.

Why would you say this?  This is a proposal for an Internet protocol.

Your proposal suggested changes to IPv6. [...]

I am not suggesting any changes to IPv6.

[...] That is essentially a
non-starter, and thus your proposal probably will be ignored by the
vast majority of IETF members. [...]

I may be speaking out of turn here... I do not believe for a second that my
proposal is being ignored.  What I feel is that people are awaiting a startup
of discussion on the matter.

Anonymity on the Internet is a HUGE issue.  People want this.  The IETF mailing
list seems, to me, the place to discuss this.  What kind of show of support are
you looking for?

[...] The IETF has worked for many years to
refine the IPv6 design, and to deal with the many ways that IPv6
impacts other parts of the Internet. ANY suggestion to make a
substantive charge to IPv6 will not be well received at this stage.
The RNET proposal calls for MANY such changes, both in end systems
that want to participate and in routers. [...]

The RNET proposal is VERY simple and elegant.  It does not call for MANY
changes at all.  It does NOT change IPv6.  It simply adds a new style of route
table handling, ie: it allows a remote host to add a route table entry for
itself.

How is this /changing/ IPv6?

[...] Also, as noted by others,
there are elements of RNET that look like existing NAT traversal
technologies already defined in RFCs.

I agree it is similar to NAT traversal technologies, however, it is more than
that as well.

I submit to you this: the military is upset at this proposed protocol.  There
is pressure to prevent it from becomming.  Why don't we impliment the protocol
and allow police forces and the military access to the RNET membership list.

Steve

Yours Truly,

Chad Christopher Giffin
a.k.a. "typo"