Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-02 17:27:10
At 15:40 02-07-2008, John C Klensin wrote:
Now, for example, I happen to believe that "one-off typing error
is guaranteed to yield a false positive", is a more than
sufficient _technical_ basis to ban single-alphabetic-letter
domains at either the top or second levels and to advise
lower-level domains against their use.  Those are technical
grounds based on human interface design and information
retrieval principles, not "the network will break if that is
done".  But few of the recommendations or reservations we might

Some people may question a technical recommendation that is not based on "the network will break".

make fall into that network-breaking latter category.  Even some
of those that fall closest to the line involve cases that we
could "fix" by modifying our applications protocols to lexically
distinguish between domain names and address literals
(http://[10.0.0.6]/ anyone?).

Or wait for http://[2001:1890:1112:1::20]/ to catch up.

But, should those of us who believe that single-letter domains
are bad news refrain from advocating for that rule because those
who oppose it could use it to discredit other IETF
recommendations that might be more important?    I don't know

That's a question to consider before getting into any rule-making.

The rather odd phrasing there has been the source of a lot of
discussion in the past in both selected IETF and ICANN circles.
Some of us read it as "TLDs will be alphabetic only -- no
digits", not just "cannot be all digits".  The former was
certainly the IANA intent when we were discussing RFC 1591.
But does it apply today?  Can ICANN override it?  I can assure
you that there are groups within ICANN who believe that they can.

RFC 1591 has been swept away by the changes that have taken placed since then. By making a few changes to RFC 5241, we could have a document relevant to this topic. :-)