Happy Birthday, IPv6

2008-08-10 05:25:48
Ten years ago, on August 10, 1998, the IESG announced the protocol action to make a set of Internet-Drafts into Draft Standards, now RFC 2460 to RFC 2463. For many of us this marked the end of the gestation and the start of what has become a long, long deployment process.

In these ten years, the IETF has come a long way toward understanding what is needed to get protocols actually deployed (see RFC 5218 for a recent milestone). Now that the recognition for the need for IPv6 has made it into the mainstream, I hope we can translate this knowledge into the final steps necessary to help make it happen. I'm looking forward to a happy confirmation/first communion/bar mitzvah/... for IPv6 three years from now when there will no longer be any way around it.

Gruesse, Carsten