I18n of I-Ds (was Simpler than...)

2008-08-25 20:45:04
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I see some fairly significant problems with most of the "RFCs in
UTF-8" or equivalent proposals I have seen, many of them having
to do with environments in which UTF-8 is not as ubiquitous as
one might like to believe.

I actually haven't seen any concrete proposals in the admittedly-brief
(5-year) time I've been reading this list.  Which actually supports
your second point, I believe:

  But I don't any point in trying to
discuss or critique such proposals until there is one... and
"proposal" in the IETF continues to mean "write an I-D", not
"sketch an idea on a mailing list" or "express outrage that
something isn't possible/ permitted".

OK, then.  Maybe I'm weird, but I've developed quite a bit of
affection and respect for the IETF and this ASCII-only policy seems to
me a major problem in the context of the the Internet in 2008.   On
the occasions I've brought the idea of doing something about this in
up conversation, the conversational reaction has been along the lines
of "Ha-ha, Unicode is imperfect and i18n is a bikeshed, get lost."

So, WTF, I'll go draft something and float it.  So at least when I
complain about this (which I seem unable to avoid doing) there'll be a
specific proposal for the IETF to sneer at.

 -T