Re: Simpler than draft-rfc-image-files-00.txt

2008-08-25 20:19:57
At 3:01 AM +0200 8/26/08, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Paul Hoffman wrote:

 It has to be tuned for the "or more" part of "one or more".

 I can't fully parse your meaning, but I think I disagree.

Yes, I also think we disagree.  I prefer one file and URL per
figure, avoiding all questions of TARs / ZIPs / JARs / TGZs
to bundle them.

There are no such questions with the proposal. The RFC Editor gets to
decide how to handle this instead of us trying to mandate this from
IETF consensus.

 > The RFC Editor, on a case-by-case basis, can choose to have
 > one file containing multiple figures, or multiple files.

Can we maybe agree on "one subdirectory" for these "packs" ?

No. For one, I didn't say "packs", you did. For another, it is silly
to try to lock this down now before we have working examples of what
would be best.

I'd like to have a "one-click interface" (IPR: ammazon) per
figure.

And I would like the RFC Editor to have flexibility to do the right
thing as time moves on.

P.S., unrelated, John wrote about UTF-8:

| I don't see any point in trying to discuss or critique such
| proposals until there is one...

http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-01.txt

...which is long-expired for very good reason.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium