RE: draft-rfc-image-files-00.txt

2008-08-26 11:45:44
Michael,

Please remember the following minor issues:

(1) xml2rfc may be widely used, but it is not a requirement or a
standard.  It actually has no formal status in the IETF.  Even
the informational RFC that describes it is long out of date.
All of that is reasonable for the way it is being used today,
but is not consistent with your proposal.

(2) People do prepare I-Ds and input to the RFC Editor in other
ways.  Plain ASCII text prepared with an editor, nroff, and,
using other sets of tools, MS Word are all in use and there may
be others that I don't know about.  The specification in the
image file document are compatible with all of these as well as
with xml2rfc (plus or minus some changes or post-processing).

(3) While one can debate it at length --and we, no doubt, will
have to do that-- the other graphic and specification mechanisms
you cite do not have either the track record or external
acceptance to make a reasonable guarantee of long-term stability.

   john

--On Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 17:30 +0100 michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com