RE: draft-rfc-image-files-00.txt

2008-08-24 05:44:21

This draft tries to solve ONE of the problems we were attempting to solve
in draft-ash-alt-formats (now expired),
namely, handling figures that are hard to render in ASCII art.

On the other hand, the proposed solution reminds me of the state-of-the-art
in the 1980s when I had to submit academic papers with the all figures at the
back.
This makes it hard to read and hard to understand.
When reading on a screen (and we don't want to force people into printing
everything)
it will be extemely difficult to see the figure and the relevant text at the
same time.

One solution would be to have a tool that merges the two files on the screen.

In any case, if we have agreement as to a format (e.g. PDF/A) to be used for
non-ASCII,
then why not use that format for the entire draft ?
If we ARE worried about the survivability of the non-ASCII file,
then this proposal does not solve anything,
as the figureless ASCII version will be incomplete.

Y(J)S