Re: Publication track for IBE documents (Was Second Last Call...)

2008-10-22 10:50:21

Stephen,

I will concede that most of the excitement about IBE and other Weil Pairing based cryptography has been in the research community. However, the technology has matured and products are slowly emerging. (I am also loath to write off any technology that attempts to address our enrollment and credentialing problems, even though I see it as a simple re-ordering of the same process. That's a philosophical rathole, though.) Publication as Informational RFCs is worthwhile since these documents provide a basis for interoperability
*if* adoption of IBE technology picks up steam.

We already have multiple non-interoperable implementations of IBE- based email (Voltage and Trend Micro). These RFCs *won't* address the fundamental interoperability problem between Trend and Voltage, since Trend is using the Sakai-Kasahara algorithm and Voltage uses Boneh- Boeyen or Boneh-Franklin. However, if additional companies wish to join the IBE-based email market, these RFCs are a proactive step towards
interoperability of future  implementations.

Thanks,

Tim

So while I don't strongly object to these as informational RFCs,
I do wonder why, if only one implementation is ever likely, we
need any RFC at all. Its not like these docs describe something
one couldn't easily figure out were there a need, given that
the (elegant but not especially useful) crypto has been around
for a while without finding any serious applications.

Stephen.