Re: a modern-day SNMP use

2008-10-25 11:25:02

Am 24.10.2008 um 20:14 schrieb Peter Dambier:

David W. Hankins wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:41:49AM -0700, Randy Presuhn wrote:
All very good reasons why doing blind, single-variable MIB walks
makes no sense.   Are there any commercial products that
do this routinely?  I'm not aware of any.

Adding to David,

IASON originally did a lot with SNMP, because of catalysts :)

We used Open Source snmpwalk because that was the easiest way to go.

When we added boxes and MIBs we got into trouble and out of memory.

As David observed, SNMP used to be slow and consumed a lot of cpu on
both the monitor and the monitored boxes.

We dropped SNMP finally when we moved away from the catalysts.

IASON never went commercial but is in the Open Source now and still very
pre beta.

hello peter and karin

if you add me [ 1 ] to your "developer list " on sourceforge [ 2 ] with the right privileges i would like to add the documentation from iason [ 3 ] to your sourceforge site and "commit " the latest source, i´ve learned a bit in the past days about CVN
and i would like to assist in my spare time. ;)

greetings  from cologne to Moerlenbach

Marc

 [ 1 ] https://sourceforge.net/users/manthey08/
 [ 2 ] https://sourceforge.net/projects/iason/
 [ 3 ] http://iason.site.voila.fr/Iason/

--
"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Les enfants teribbles - research and deployment
Marc Manthey - head of research and innovation
Hildeboldplatz 1a D - 50672 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-3558032
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
jabber :marc(_at_)kgraff(_dot_)net
blog : http://www.let.de