Re: Last Call: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis (IESG Procedures for Handling of Independent and IRTF Stream Submissions) to BCP

2008-11-10 06:34:12
SM,

Thanks for your review and thank you Russ for the edits. I'll just comment on the one remaining issue:

"3. The IESG finds that publication is harmful to the IETF work done
in WG <X> and recommends not publishing the document at this time."

I don't think that harmful is appropriate here. I gather that the aim is to prevent circumvention of the IETF process and conflicts with work being carried out by the Working Group.

It could be phrased as:

The IESG finds that this work is related to IETF work done in WG <X>
and recommends not publishing the document at this time.

The issue is that mere conflict with work in a WG is not a sufficient reason to recommend against publishing. The IESG needs to make a judgment call that such publication would actually be harmful to the standardization process in the WG. For instance, in a recent case we approved an independent publication even if the document was clearly in the domain of a WG because we felt the circumstances supported it. You have to consider a number of aspects, where the WG is in its process, whether the particular submission is likely to confuse the process, etc.

I don't care so much what words we use to say this, but I would like to see that the ability to make this judgment call is retained. This is why I like the current text more than the proposed one above.

Jari