SECDIR review of draft-ietf-calsify-rfc2445bis-09

2008-11-25 00:23:42
Hi all,

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document defines a document format (iCalendar) for expressing calendaring information. This format does not contain mechanisms for providing security features to the information encoded in it, but there is appropriate text in the Security Considerations to guide protocols that might carry iCalendar documents.

My only real concern is the ambiguity of the "Binary" value data type. The other value data types defined in this document have clear semantics attached that indicate how a compliant parser might handle the encoded data. The Binary type defines how to decode the included data, but not what sort of information this data conveys. Without further context to guide processing of this information, I'm concerned that this could lead to implementations that attempt to guess the type of binary content. I would suggest adding text to Section 3.2.20 of the following character:
"
If this parameter indicates that the type of the property value is BINARY, then the FMTTYPE paramter MUST be set in order to indicate the MIME type of the encoded binary information.
"

In general, though, I think this document is ready to go.

--Richard