Where to discuss NAT66?

2008-12-02 05:03:02
Tony Hain skrev:
Cullen Jennings wrote:
I'm sure that the IAB and IESG is keenly interested in this topic but
everyone that cares is subscribed to behave.

While I agree that everyone interested in defining nat behavior is
subscribed to Behave, I doubt that everyone in the application community is,
yet every one of them will be impacted by the fundamental architectural
implications of this backroom rush to market effort. There has been no
justification of the need for a 66nat, only wild claims that we need to do
something now because people will be shipping them in the next few months.
While I have no doubt that vendors will ship what their customers are asking
for, it is not clear that the IETF should endorse an effort with such a wide
ranging architectural impact. Never mind that if the vendors are really
shipping in the next few months there is no chance that an IETF document
would be published before there are products on the street....

Hosting this discussion in Behave assumes the outcome, and is absolutely the
wrong place for an architectural discussion. This should be held in the
Applications area, and only moved to Behave to resolve the implementation
details once it is decided that a 66nat is absolutely necessary. Trying to
do it by having people pre-disposed to an answer and without any concern for
the impact to the application community is guaranteed to result in
perpetuating an unnecessary architectural wart.

Tony,

We had quite some discussion in IESG about where to discuss this topic.
There is no perfect fit. I think it is time to move it from Behave to
its own list as the discussion continues to go on and impacts Behave's
chartered work. However, the issues as you say is that it is an
architectural discussion and it affects all layers from routing up to
application. Which means that we need insights from all layers. But, we
can't continue to have a good discussion by cross posting to all area
list or the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.

Also be certain that we haven't decided anything about what to do with
NAT66, except saying that we are allowing the discussion. There will be
a BOF before anything if any is chartered on this topic.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair