Re: [BEHAVE] Handwaving? [Re: where to have the NAT66 discussion (was Re: Please move this thread to BEHAVE mailing list ... )]

2008-12-03 04:56:42
On 2 dec 2008, at 20:31, Ralph Droms wrote:

Iljitsch - I understand the theory behind what you're describing...in practice, it's a hard problem to know where all the prefixes are that should be changed; worse yet, it's hard to know which prefixes in which parts of the configuration should be replaced with new prefixes, and which shouldn't be changed.

It doesn't have to be if it's designed for this. I know a few years back Cisco routers had a limited capability in this area:

!
interface Ethernet1
 ipv6 address autoconfig
 ipv6 dhcp client pd dhcpv6prefix
!
interface Ethernet2
 ipv6 address dhcpv6prefix 0:0:0:A0::/64 eui-64
!

(The prefix is put in the variable "dhcpv6prefix" which is then ORed with the prefix 0:0:0:a0::/64 later.)

Seems to me this can easily be extended to all places where addresses appear.

But note that I was specifically addressing the presence vs absense of NAT in relationship to renumbering. All the difficult stuff is other people not directly under your control having pointers to your addresses, this is the same with or without NAT.

most of the places where IP addresses are configured were never designed with renumbering or any sort of "signaling" in mind, and will be very difficult to automate.

Right, so vendors need to step up.