Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-11 18:40:30

--On Thursday, 11 December, 2008 14:48 -0800 IETF Chair
<chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

During the IETF 73 Plenary, Sam Hartman asked some questions
about the recent updates to the IETF IPR policy.  Before
responding to Sam's question, it will be important to provide
The updated boilerplate will be required on I-D submissions
beginning 16 December 2008.  This boilerplate simply provides
a pointer to the current IPR policy.  Posting with the older
boilerplate was allowed from 10 November 2008 through 15
December 2008 to facilitate document template updates.
Regardless of the boilerplate that was used on a particular
contribution, the BCPs determine the IPR policy that applies,
not the boilerplate.

I just want to be sure that I understand this.

A question was asked during the Plenary that the Trustees
believed was significant enough to require further
investigation.  During that investigation, the IAD indicated, in
a fairly public way, that the boilerplate and/or the text to
which it pointed might change as the result of those
discussions, that people should not hastily start modifying
tools, and that a final announcement would be made when the
Trustees reached a final conclusion.

I assume this is that announcement.

Is that correct so far?

So, given that, the Trustees now believe that it is reasonable
to [re] impose a deadline that gives the community two working
days (it is already well into December 12 in much of the world)
to modify and update tools to incorporate the new boilerplate.

Do the Trustees/ IAOC believe that is reasonable?  Do you
believe it is necessary?

If members of the community who are responsible for the relevant
tools and/or templates conclude that it is not realistic and
consistent with other schedules and commitments to meet that
schedule, is the best option available to them to appeal this
action and, if so, to whom should the appeal be addressed?

thanks,
   john