Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-ospf-manet-mdr-03.txt

2008-12-16 12:34:51
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer for
this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html). Please resolve
these comments along with any other Last Call comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ospf-manet-mdr-03.txt
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
Review Date: 2008-12-12
IETF LC End Date: 2008-12-24
IESG Telechat date: (not known)

Comments:

2.6.  Hello Protocol

  Differential Hellos are sent every HelloInterval seconds, except when
  full Hellos are sent, which happens once every 2HopRefresh Hellos.

Spencer (clarity): Is 2HopRefresh a counter? As I continue reading, it seems
to be treated as a counter, but that wasn't clear to me at this point in the
document (I think I caught up in Section 4.1, but that's later than I'd
hoped)

  The default value of 2HopRefresh is 1, i.e., the default is to send
  only full Hellos.  The default value for HelloInterval is 2 seconds.
  Differential Hellos are used to reduce overhead and to allow Hellos
  to be sent more frequently, for faster reaction to topology changes.

3.2.  New Configurable Interface Parameters

  All possible configurations of the new interface parameters are
  functional, except that if AdjConnectivity is 0 (full-topology
  adjacencies), then LSAFullness must be 1, 2, or 4 (see Section 9.3).
  Differential Hellos should be used to reduce the size of Hello
  packets when the average number of neighbors is large.  Differential

Spencer (clarity): does "large" have any relationship with "160" or "200"
nodes mentioned in the next paragraph?

  Hellos are obtained by setting the parameter 2HopRefresh to an
  integer greater than 1, with the recommended value being 3.  Good
  performance in simulated mobile networks with up to 160 nodes has
  been obtained using the default configuration with differential
  Hellos.  Good performance in simulated mobile networks with up to 200
  nodes has been obtained using the same configuration except with
  minimal LSAs (LSAFullness = 0).  Simulation results are presented in
  Appendix E.

  MDRConstraint
     A parameter of the MDR selection algorithm, which affects the
     number of MDRs selected.  The default value of 3 results in nearly
     the minimum number of MDRs.  The optional value 2 results in a
     larger number of MDRs.

Spencer(clarity): are "3" and "2" the only possible values for this
parameter? If so, that's fine, but the chosen values made me wonder about
other possible values...

12.  IANA Considerations

  This document defines three new LLS TLV types to be allocated by
  IANA: MDR-Hello TLV, MDR-Metric TLV, and MDR-DD TLV.

Spencer (clarity): it would be good to point to the definitions in this section.

D.  Non-Ackable LSAs for Periodic Flooding

  In a highly mobile network, it is possible that a router almost
  always originates a new router-LSA every MinLSInterval seconds.  In
  this case, it should not be necessary to send Acks for such an LSA,
  or to retransmit such an LSA as a unicast, or to describe such an LSA
  in a DD packet.  In this case, the originator of an LSA MAY indicate
  that the router-LSA is "non-ackable" by setting a bit (to be
  specified) in the options field of the LSA.  For example, a router

Spencer: "to be specified"? Is this the L bit described in A.1?

  can originate non-ackable LSAs if it determines (e.g., based on an
  exponential moving average) that a new LSA is originated every
  MinLSInterval seconds at least 90 percent of the time. (Simulations
can be used to determine the best threshold.)