Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-16 22:09:21
I have a very different view of this situation, and disagree wstrongly with John's recommended "fix" (or the equivalent fix of completely rolling back 5378 and 5377.)

First and foremost, it should be kept in ming by anyone reading this that the IPR working was convened by the then IETF chair, and continued by succeeding chairs because there were problems that actually needed to be fixed. There are things that the community considered (and presumably still does consider) either necessary or important that are not properly addressed by the earlier documents. This varied between a lack of clarity in some areas, and a lack of ability to perform necessary actions in other areas. The working group was not convened just because we wanted to, or even because we thought we could make things "better." If it had not appeared that there were significant problems, I for one would have taken the much easier course and just said "leave it alone." And I am quite confident I am not alone.

Secondly, giving people a choice of terms is basically going to create confusion. For example, one of the issues raised in the working group was that our previous rights grant appeared not to properly allow folks to modify code. And it required them to include things in used code that made it hard to use that code in various contexts. We want to see implementations. We want to see accurate, interoperable implementations. Using the code and tables from various RFC is somewhere between necessary and and desirable. But, if we assume that the folks who were concerned were right, then if we give everyone a choice, anyone trying to right code using our tables, etc has to figure out what rights they are being granted to use any given RFC or I-D. Yes, there are those who argued that there was no problem. However, the WG concluded that there was at the very least significant confusion, and probably an actual problem.

Yes, having to get rights from folks is a pain.
But if we are not willing to push to do that, then we might as well consider that the rights granted to the IETF are locked in stone forever, and can never be upgraded, because it will never happen.

It should be understood also that some folks actually wanted us to go further than we did in 5377. 5378 and 5377 represent the best compromise we could work out. The community is certainly free to decide that it doesn't want to do that.

While some folks who were there say that they feel not enough attention was paid to this issue, it is the case that we did discuss at least some of the impact, and none of what turned out to be needed surprised me.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern