Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-17 15:45:47
Based on the discussion I have seen, an escape mechanism for old text that really can not be processed otherwise is probably reasonable. However, if we are making an effort to retain the work that was done, my personal take is that the barrier to that escape mechanism has to be high enough that it is worth-while for folks to actually try to follow the community agreement.

And I will happily leave it to the alwyer to tell us whose signoffs folks need. (While I have guesses, they are just that.)

Joel

John C Klensin wrote:
Marshall,

I completely agree.  I also don't want to have us start down the
path of rewriting text: most of what the IETF produces are
technical documents, not works of fiction, and the odds
significant rewriting screwing things up are high, perhaps a
near-certainty.

I also share your dislike for provisions whose validity we can
even guess at until they end up in front of a court.   I don't
know what to do about that other that to rely on advice of
Counsel, but that doesn't stop me from preferring "this is a
well-tested approach" to "we hope it will work out this way".

But both your comments and that "can't get it right" issue just
reinforce my view that we either need an escape mechanism for
old text or need a model in which the Trust, not the submitters,
take responsibility for text Contributed to the IETF under older
rules. For the record, I don't know how to make the latter work
(partially because, like you, I try to avoid simulating a
lawyer) and am not proposing it.  But, logically, it might be
the other possibility here.

    john
--On Wednesday, 17 December, 2008 13:02 -0500 Marshall Eubanks