Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-17 17:10:20

Randy Presuhn wrote:
That is: Working groups are part of the IETF and 'authors' of working group documents are acting as when writing IETF documents.agents of the IETF. While

I assume the missing word is "editors"

fooey.  thanks for catching that. very sorry i didn't.

no, I meant to have it read "are acting as agents of the IETF, when writing IETF documents.

(For reference, I do not see the presence of the "editor" label as having any material impact on the nature of "ownership" of the text.

So when Scott Bradner did the revision to the IETF Working Group Guidelines document the idea that he had a legal obligation to get our permission would have -- and certainly now does -- strike me as silly.

Particularly since the permission to create derivative works and successor
standards has been granted as part of the boilerplate for a long long time.

I'm not sure whether it dates as far back as when we wrote that doc. But my real point is that it doesn't matter, in terms of what I, as an IETF participant, thought was the situation.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking