Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-17 17:33:21

John C Klensin wrote:
The assumption that you made was ultimately that work done for
or within the IETF was available for IETF use.
The issues that drove 5378 have to do with non-IETF uses of text
from these documents.  For example, if someone on the other side
of the world decided to create an Intranet Dead Horse Kicking
Task Force and wanted to use significant text from the Working
Group Guidelines, and use that material by copy, not by
reference, would they have to ask for permission and, if so,
from whom?

My assumption was not that the work was "available" for "IETF use".

My assumption was that the IETF owned the work.  Pure and simple.

The IETF was free to do whatever the hell if felt like with the work and I retained no rights. Use it. Give it to another group. Kill it. Whatever.

Really. That's the cultural basis that I believe formed this community and informed participants in it.

d/

ps. Well, to be more complete, I assumed that IETF ownership meant that the document was required to be publicly available and -- though I didn't know the term at the time -- there was public permission for derivative works by whoever felt like doing the deriving.

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking