Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-17 11:02:08
Stig Venaas wrote:
I would have liked some standard API for looking up SRV records. It's
hard to use SRV in portable applications.

In general there is a need for a standard, general purpose API for DNS
queries - one that lets you query for arbitrary record types.  It also
needs to be thread safe and to work in an

One could possibly extend getaddrinfo() or make something a bit similar.
getaddrinfo() is perhaps already becoming too complex though. A neat
thing with extending getaddrinfo() could be to make existing code use
SRV without changes. Not exactly sure if that is good or not...

It's not.  And I've heard rumors that some implementations of
getaddrinfo() already do this - which is a good reason to not use it at all.

Keith