5378: A worked example

2008-12-17 12:47:31
Having recently completed TLS 1.2 (RFC 5246), I thought it would be worth
going through the thought experiment of what it would be like to
submit it under the RFC 5378 terms. As I understand the general
consensus, if I were to submit RFC 5246bis, I would need to get
approval under the new terms from everyone who made a substantial
contribution to the original document (the bulk of which dates back to
TLS 1.0 in 1999). I don't have an exhaustive list, but this presumably
includes at minimum everyone listed in the Contributors section on
pages 101-102.

That list contains 14 names. Let's say that I have a 95% chance of
getting any one of those people to give consent. The joint probability
that I will obtain all the required consents is .95^14, less than 1/2.

-Ekr