Re: [tae] The Great Naming Debate (was Re: The internet architecture)

2008-12-17 12:46:38
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
10.1.2.3 is simply a string litteral that may be used in place of a DNS name. In neither case should the application require knowledge of the IP address itself. In fact you don't want that as at some point in the distant future, 10.1.2.3 is actually going to map to an IPv6 address, not an IPv4 address.

While I take your point in general, I do think it should
be pointed out that DNS names are resolved prior to
connection establishment through a directory lookup,
while addresses are routed.

Melinda