Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-05 09:35:48
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:

So it's not a question of whether DNS is less reliable than IP (it is),
or even whether the reliability of DNS + IP is less than that of IP
alone (it is).  It's a question of whether increasing reliance on DNS by
trying to get apps and other things to use DNS names exclusively, makes
those apps and other things less reliable.

No. Your argument seems to be "because relying even more on DNS than
we do today makes things more brittle, BAD, BAD BAD, we cannot go
there."

The more relevant engineering question is whether the benefits of such
an approach outweigh the downsides. Sure there are downsides. But
there are also real potential benefits. Some of them potentially game
changers in terms of addressing real deficiencies in what we have
today. It may well be that having applications be more brittle would
be an acceptable cost for getting a viable multihoming approach that
address the route scalability problem. (All depends on what "more
brittle" really means.) But the only way to answer such questions in a
productive manner is to look pretty closely at a complete
architecture/solution together with experience from real
implementation/usage.

Thomas