Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-05 09:17:26
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:29:51PM -0500,
 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

It's a question of whether increasing reliance on DNS by trying to
get apps and other things to use DNS names exclusively, makes those
apps and other things less reliable.

For a good part, this is already done. You cannot use IP addresses for
many important applications (the Web because of virtual hosting and
email because most MTA setup prevent it).

you're generalizing about the entire Internet from two applications?

And, as far as I know, nobody complained. The only person I know who
puts IP addresses on business cards is Louis
Pouzin <pouzin(_at_)[137(_dot_)194(_dot_)2(_dot_)14]>

address literals were quite useful for diagnostic purposes.  the fact
that most MTAs now prevent using them in outgoing mail is quite
unfortunate.   though they were even more useful when you could expect
to do things like

RCPT TO:<moore%example(_dot_)com(_at_)[192(_dot_)168(_dot_)0(_dot_)1]>

as a way to query a specific SMTP server as to what it would do with a
specific domain name.

but that's really beside the point.  the real point is this:

please figure out how to make DNS more reliable, more in sync with the
world, and less of a single point of failure and control, before
insisting that we place more trust in it.

Keith