Re: [tae] The Great Naming Debate (was Re: The internet architecture)

2008-12-16 15:24:32
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
So to be strictly accurate here, applications deal in names, some of
which are DNS names and some of which are IP address litterals. But an
'end user' application only deals in names.

how many people are pure "end users" who never need their tools to be
able to deal with IP address literals?  nobody that I know of.  even
naive users who don't understand what IP addresses do, need for their
apps to be able to deal with them for the cases where things break.  for
instance, when the external network connection goes down and they still
want to be able to talk to their printers. [*]

actually the vast majority of users that I know of do occasionally deal
with IP addresses directly.  and many of these guys aren't computer
scientists or techies of any sort.

again, this is not only hopelessly naive, it's harmful.  you're trying
to build a system that's even more broken than what we have now.

we're a very long way from knowing how to build a naming system that
works so reliably and transparently that we can completely hide IP
addresses from users.

Keith

[*] and yeah, I know about LLMNR and even use it occasionally, but it
also breaks when you take your laptop on the road and still want to be
able to print to the printer at home.